LEVENTIS FOUNDATION/FCT AGRICULTURAL TRAINING SCHOOL, YABA
Following the success stories of the other Leventis Foundation Schools in Nigeria, the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) approached LFN Management to establish a model school in the FCT in 2007. The MOU was signed on the 17th May 2007 and the School commenced operations on the 29th May 2008 with 28 trainees on board, all indigenes of FCT. Today, the School has trained about 400 farmers in both the regular and adhoc training programmes since inception.
The School is located in Yaba town in Abaji Area Council of the FCT, about 101km from Abuja City gate, the Federal Capital Territory. It lies on the southern fringes of the guinea savannah belt with an annual rainfall of between 1000 and 1200mm, allowing for a mono-modal rain-fed cropping season from May to October.
The School has about 50 hectares arable land with adequate room for expansion in the near future. The dominant crops include; maize, soybean, groundnut, benni seed (Sesame seed), melon, cassava and yam. Like all the other LFN Schools, the School is co-educational and enjoys a good collaborative venture between LFN and FCT.
- Crop: Maize, Yam, rice, benni seed, cowpea, groundnut, assorted vegetables
- Agroforestry: Assorted seedlings orchard crops, orchard plantation, bee keeping, etc.
- Livestock: Poultry, rabbit, cattle, sheep and goat, fish farming
- RED: ‘Tomapepo’ production, batik, tie and dye production, confectionaries production, etc.
- Engineering: Simple tool fabrication
Off Abuja – Okene Road
Abaji Area Council
P. M. B. 001, Abaji
Abaji Area Council, FCT, Abuja.